Wednesday, February 27, 2013

A Knot


I tied a knot today
A good knot
I could trust that knot.
It was strong,
It was secure,
I could trust that knot with my life.

I thought
A friend should be like a good knot:
Strong,
Trustworthy,
And closely bonded.

Then it fell apart.
Not my knot of course,
But my idea.
I built that knot,
Its strength was because of me.
I tied it
And it simply stayed where I left it.
It was not the knot I trusted,
It was me I trusted.

Then it fell apart.
The knot this time.
Well, I untied it.
But with ease.

I was told a good knot is strong
But unties easily.
That’s not the kind of friend I want.
Someone who just stays where I leave them
Who sits unmoving like a dog, or a knot
Who I trust simply because they obey me
And who just disappears in an instant.

I like knots.
They are strong,
And secure,
And trustworthy.
But a knot is not a friend.
I know now,
A knot is a knot.

No comments:

Post a Comment